Looking for unique ways to celebrate Mother's Day 2023? Discover extra special gifts, experiences and inexpensive ways to spoil mum this Mother's day.
- What day is Mother's Day 2023 in the UK?
- Mother's Day gift ideas
- Treat her to to a meal
- Should I give her a flower bouquet?
- Unique Mother's Day ideas
What day is Mother's Day 2023 in the UK?
Mother's day (also known as Mothering Sunday) will be celebrated on Sunday 19th March 2023.
Mother's Day Gifts
Check out our top ethical mother's day gifts for 2023. Extra special ideas you'll both love. Find 220+ more ideas in our gifts for mum collection.
Voice promise drop earrings
Sirius Round Bag made from Recycled Tyres
Sea Salt Caramel Truffles
Embroidered Mountain Clutch Bag with Chain
Illustrated Triple Insulated Bottle
Send a Card
Pink Felt Cactus
Eco Bee Nester
Mother's Day Meal
Whether she's a foodie, or she'd just love to spend time with you, treating your mum to a special brunch or Mother's Day lunch might be the perfect treat.
If you can't be with her on the day, why not create a voucher and suggest another date?
Mother's Day Bouquet
Did you know about 90% of the flowers we buy are imported?
Often cut flowers are grown in warmer countries like Kenya and flown to the UK, while many more are grown in large heated greenhouses in the Netherlands. This means the floristry industry can have a pretty hefty carbon footprint, and we haven't even mentioned single-use plastic wrapping and floral foam yet.
Mother's Day is one of the busiest days of the year for the flower industry, so what can we do to choose a little more sustainably this year?
- Look for florists offering ethical and sustainable options. Find out where flowers are grown, look for Fairtrade products if possible (this means they were grown under strict environmental and ethical standards), or choose seasonal flowers grown in the UK
- Consider the materials the flowers will be packed in, avoid floral foam, and choose recyclable or biodegradable options whenever you can. Let your florist know these factors are important to you - it might mean they can give you more options next time!
- Think outside the box, fresh flowers only last about five to seven days on average. Could you choose something longer-lasting or gift an experience instead? Check out these wildflower seed gift sets for a long-lasting alternative that gives nature a boost too!
For Those Who Don't Want Stuff
Many people are keen to avoid accumulating 'stuff' just for the sake of it. So what are some alternative and unique gift ideas?
Book a theatre or cinema trip
Whether your mum's into musicals, films or drama, she'll love the opportunity to hang out with you, and that you want to join her watching something she enjoys. Offer a few ideas if you're not quite sure what she'd like, or if you know she'll love The Rocky Horror Picture show, just book those tickets!
Plan a home spa day
Light some candles, put on a relaxing soundtrack, add some treats to snack on and perhaps a healthy smoothie (or something fizzy), and voila!
Go for a picnic
If she's not after things, she may just value you and your time! Now spring's on the way why not plan a picnic together in a location your mum will love. That might be the beach, a beauty spot, or your local park!
Have we missed anything? Comment below if you think there's something we should include.
You might like:
- Mother's Day gifts that give back
- Random acts of kindness | 5 easy ideas you can try today
- How to Have an Ethical & Eco Friendly Easter
At Good Things you’ll find inspiring ethical and sustainable gifts that support charities, empower people and protect our planet. Discover gifts for all ages and inspiring ideas like cards that plant trees, handmade cushions empowering people in Tanzania and eco toys made from recycled milk bottles. Have a look at our collections.